Tour guide company behind nine skiers missing in avalanche breaks silence – as it’s slammed for ‘preventable’ disaster
A tour guide company that organized the trip for a large group of backcountry skiers that went missing after an avalanche near Lake Tahoe has broken its silence.
Fifteen people are believed to have been hit by the terrifying slide on Tuesday morning as snow battered the region. Six were known to have survived, while nine remain unaccounted for.
Mountain rescue launched a huge operation to find them on skis and snowcats, but has been struggling against horrific conditions that saw the entire region cut off.
Blackbird Mountain Guides later said it had organized the trip for 11 clients and four guides at the Frog Lake huts in the Castle Peak area of the mountain.
It revealed the skiers had been returning to the trailhead at the end of their three-day tour when the huge avalanche struck.
“A total of 11 clients and four guides had been staying at the Frog Lake huts since February 15. The group was in the process of returning to the trailhead at the conclusion of a three-day trip when the incident occurred.
“The leadership team at Blackbird Mountain Guides is working in full coordination with the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office and Nevada County Search and Rescue to support the ongoing rescue operation.
“Blackbird Mountain Guides is in direct contact with the emergency contacts of the affected clients and guides and is providing them with regular updates as verified information becomes available.”
The avalanche struck around 11.30am in Castle Peak, a short drive from Truckee, as the winter storm raged throughout the area.
Six of the skiers survived the initial impact and have been told to remain at the huts while rescuers work to save them.
Many were quick to question why the skiers were allowed up to the site in the first place, with the huge storm known about for days before the disaster.
Kurt Gensheimer said he was at the site from Thursday to Sunday but escaped before the weather front hit.
He said he is hearing speculation about what happened on the slope on Tuesday, and claimed the incident was “preventable.”
He told the California Post: “I was at Frog Lake from Thursday to Sunday but we got out before the storm moved in.” He added: “Absolutely a preventable tragedy is all I will say about it.”
Others were quick to raise the same question across social media. Don Coelho wrote: “What in God’s name were they doing up there today of all days! Hope they survive and learn a really important lesson.”
Ken Buck posted: “Those ski guides; bad call. I hope all are found safe.” And Heather Sears added: “Praying for all but questions about how “guides” took them out in these conditions. Really? Did they not read the warnings?”
The group had been lodged at the Frog Lake Backcountry Huts — a group of remote cabins for skiers to stay during their time on the mountain.
The site offers a variety of sleeping options, with various bunks in each, and an ominous warning to those who choose to stay there.
Its website reads: “Backcountry skiers, cross country skiers, backcountry snowboarders and snowshoers will be able to access and stay at the Frog Lake Backcountry Huts from numerous directions, offering boundless terrain from the huts’ doorsteps to explore during your stay.
“All routes involve avalanche terrain, requiring appropriate education and safety equipment.”
The plan was for the group to leave the Frog Lake Huts Tuesday morning to head back home, but that was when the avalanche struck.
A massive search effort was quickly put into place following the horrifying weather event, with 46 first responders deployed to the scene.
Rescuers used snowcats, snowmobiles and skis in order to get to the surviving six, who were told to stay in place and wait for help.
It is currently unknown who the missing skiers are, but to make things worse, an avalanche warning remains in place for the area through Wednesday.
“The Sierra Avalanche Centre previously issued an avalanche warning for today, Feb. 17, which has been in effect since 5am today through Feb. 18 at 5am, stating: 'HIGH avalanche danger exists in the backcountry,” the Nevada County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement released Tuesday.
“Large avalanches are expected to occur Tuesday, Tuesday night, and into at least early Wednesday morning across backcountry terrain. HIGH avalanche danger might continue through the day on Wednesday.”
The avalanche happened at an elevation of approximately 8,200 feet near Frog Lake.
An avalanche is measured by its destructive size on a scale of 1-5. Tuesday’s avalanche measured as a 2.5 on the scale, according to the Sierra Avalanche Centre.
A 2.5 avalanche is capable of injuring, burying or killing a person and is usually about a football field in length with snow more than two yards high.
0 Comments